A Health and Care Worker visa allows medical professionals to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care.

You must meet all of the following requirements to be eligible for a Health and Care Worker visa:

  • you’re a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional
  • your job is eligible for this visa
  • you’ll be working for a UK health and care sector employer that’s been approved by the Home Office
  • you’ll be paid the minimum salary or the ‘going rate’ for the type of work you’ll be doing – whichever is higher

You must find out if your job is eligible, you need to know its 4-digit occupation code (SOC code).

If you already have a job offer, ask your employer for your occupation code.

You can find the occupation code at ONS occupation coding tool.

Salary requirements

An applicant needs to be paid at least £20,480.

If the ‘going rate’ for your job is higher than £20,480, you’ll usually need to be paid at least the going rate.

Each occupation code has its own annual going rate. How you find the going rate depends on your job.

When you need to meet different salary requirements

You’ll need to meet different salary requirements for this visa if your job is in one of the the following occupation codes:

  • 1181: health services and public health managers and directors
  • 1242: residential, day and domiciliary care managers and proprietors
  • 2112: biological scientists and biochemists
  • 2113: physical scientists
  • 3111: laboratory technicians
  • 3216: dispensing opticians
  • 3217: pharmaceutical technicians
  • 6146: senior care workers

ILR (indefinite leave to remain)as a Health and care worker visa:

You will be entitled to apply for Indefinite leave to remain after completing 5 years under this category but you may be eligible with other permitted work visa categories.

Application form you must fill in is SET (O)